Shish kabobs are a popular dish that can be traced back to Turkey, where Turkish men and women feasted on this classic after skewering meats on a metal skewer or sword to roast over an open flame. Now, with help from Anixi, diners from any background can enjoy vegan Mediterranean shish kabobs in NYC!
Anixi takes pride in our ability to offer classic fare from beautiful cultures around the globe. By making the most of Greek, Lebanese, Turkish, and Syrian flavors, our chefs offer up fresh flavors of the Mediterranean, served as you’ve never seen them before: kosher certified and entirely cruelty-free!
To sample the flavors for yourself, peruse our full menu and place an order for pickup or delivery. Ready to start incorporating these healthy vegan options into your diet? Continue reading for a recipe you won’t soon forget!
Vegan Shish Kabobs in NYC
Shish kabobs are a relatively simple dish and they can be a great, easy addition to your weekly meal rotation. But note – a little extra effort goes a long way!
At Anixi, we are never afraid of that “little extra effort.”
By utilizing the freshest vegetables, the brightest flavors, and the most creative protein substitutes, our professionally trained chefs can offer the most unforgettable shish kabobs in the city. No matter your craving, you can fulfill it with any of these incredible options:
- Our grilled chick’n shish kabob is a crowd favorite, seasoned with turmeric, coriander, preserved lemon, green tahini, dehydrated harissa, and fresh green cilantro.
- The grilled “steak” shish kabob finds its flavor from Chunk foods steak and grilled onions, brightened by herbs, tahini, and a garlic confit tapenade.
- The kofta kabob offers a unique blend of savory and sweet flavors, with cinnamon and cumin infused “beef,” tahini, sumac, and fresh parsley.
- The wild mushroom kabob is made flavorful with portobello and crimini mushrooms, thyme, and pomegranate molasses, while compressed tofu ensures that no one leaves the table hungry.
No matter your choice, we can all but guarantee that you’ll enjoy digging into the fun, unique flavor combinations offered by the Anixi chefs! To make the most of these savory dishes, ask any member of our bar staff to help select the perfect wine pairing.
Vegan Mediterranean Shish Kabob Recipe
After just one serving of the shish kabobs at Anixi, you’ll wonder how to replicate the flavors at home. Though this is difficult to do without the vast world experience of our staff, the adage is true: every journey starts with a single step!
Start with this easy, delicious recipe when choosing where to start your Mediterranean food journey.
- 1 package of extra firm tofu
- 1 medium purple onion
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne
- Start this recipe by pressing the tofu to remove all excess water. To do this, pat the tofu block dry, wrap it carefully in a towel, and then press it between two plates, setting something heavy on top to squeeze out the water. Allow at least an hour for this step.
- As the tofu drains, cut the purple onion into large chunks. Set aside.
- Mix all remaining ingredients, whisking them to form a thick marinade.
- Cut the tofu into cubes, and place the tofu in the marinade for a minimum of thirty minutes.
- Place the tofu onto skewers, alternating with thick chunks of onion. Brush the onion and tofu with the remaining marinade, and place the skewers on the grill for around five minutes, until the edges of the onions are charred.
- Just before serving, brush a second time, and then enjoy!
Easy Mediterranean Dining at Anixi
As easy as this shish kabob recipe is, some days, even that amount of effort can feel exhausting. To brighten up even the worst days, indulge in a mouthwatering vegan Mediterranean meal at Anixi!