Though much of the Mediterranean diet naturally overlaps with a cruelty-free lifestyle, sometimes, it takes a bit of tweaking. Such is the case with Taramasalata. This traditional dip is typically made using some form of cured roe, leaving it with a strong ocean flavor and umami tang. With guidance from Anixi and their vegan Taramasalata, even a cruelty-free diner can get everything they’re craving from a Mediterranean diet without compromising their moral principles!
Anixi takes pride in our ability to offer up classic fare from some of the world’s most underutilized cultures. By making the most of Greek, Lebanese, Turkish, and Syrian flavors, our chefs offer up fresh flavors of the Mediterranean, served as you’ve never seen them before: Certified-kosher and entirely cruelty-free.
To sample the flavors, peruse our full menu and place an order for pickup or delivery. Ready to start incorporating these healthy vegan options into your diet? Continue reading for a recipe you won’t soon forget.
Anixi’s Vegan Taramasalata
At Anixi, our chefs perfectly balance elegant simplicity with complex, flavor-rich options. This vegan taramasalata is no different.
This traditional mezze dip, offered on our menu, is prepared using a foundation of orange seaweed caviar. This vegan replacement for the traditional roe offers the same ocean-inspired flavor, all without the fish.
Vegan, lemon-infused yogurt contributes a creamy texture and bright, citrusy burst of flavor, while sumac brings the dip down with an earthy twist. Red onions offer a delicious bite and add another layer of complexity to this already intricate flavor profile.
As in most dishes, extra virgin olive oil serves as the ideal final touch. A drizzle of fresh, healthy fat ties the dip together as one you won’t soon forget.
Just one serving of this dip, and you’ll soon find yourself ready for more. Luckily, whenever the craving hits, you can easily recreate this delicious, healthy mezze dip from the comfort of your own home or order from us today.
Vegan Taramasalata Recipe
Looking for a light, healthy snack to curb the cravings between lunch and dinner? Bring a serving of this dip to work alongside a serving of fresh carrots and celery.
Need something a bit more filling? No problem. Toast up some pita in a skillet with some olive oil for a warm, toasty alternative to the crisp veggies.
When prepared in bulk, this dip makes for an excellent side to any Mediterranean entree, helping solidify any meal as one truly fitting inside of a classic Mediterranean diet. No matter how you choose to indulge, do so easily in the knowledge that this dish compromises neither your health nor your cruelty-free lifestyle.
- 1 cup of vegan yogurt
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of vegan seaweed caviar
- 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs
- 1/2 small red onion
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Begin this recipe by preparing your onion. Peel and shred your red onion, using either a food processor or cheese grater. As with much of the recipe, the consistency of the red onion depends entirely on personal taste. For a strong crunch, consider leaving a few larger pieces.
- Combine the seaweed caviar, vegan yogurt, and onion in a medium-sized bowl.
- Work slowly to add the breadcrumbs to the mixture, whisking the breadcrumbs into the mixture as you go. The overall goal should be to allow these breadcrumbs to soak up any excess liquid and help maintain the consistency of the final product.
- Finally, cut your lemon and squeeze the fresh juice into the dip. Again, stir and sample the dip as you go, stopping when you’re satisfied with the overall flavor. Keep in mind that the flavors will better meld the longer this dip sits.
- Just before serving, drizzle this dip with a final layer of extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy this dip however you please, whether that is spread over the surface of a slice of whole-grain toast or alongside a serving of your favorite veggies!
Outstanding Dips at Anixi
Ready for more big Mediterranean flavor in a compact, versatile package? Get ready to find what you need at Anixi.
On our menu, you’ll find different mezze dip options, all prepared fresh in our very own restaurant. As usual, every bite is prepared for optimal flavor, using only the freshest herbs and the most wholesome ingredients.