Across the world, diners from every culture find themselves craving the complicated flavors behind the dips of the Mediterranean coast. Of these dips, few are more beloved than the cool tzatziki dip. Typically made from a creamy yogurt foundation, this spreadable dip made a name for itself through the combination of fresh dill and cucumber. Now, with this easy vegan tzatziki recipe, cruelty-free cooks can enjoy this dish as they never have before: homemade and completely plant-based!
The newest addition to the City Roots restaurant family, Anixi takes pride in being able to help diners all over NYC– and beyond!– enjoy all the flavorful health benefits of the Mediterranean lifestyle. With a menu stocked with fresh herbs, plant-based protein, and delectable dips, you’ll have no issue finding the creative, inclusive meal you’ve been craving.
Anixi’s fully vegan menu respectfully turns this traditionally “meat-heavy” diet into one that any diner– whether cruelty-free, gluten-free, or kosher– can enjoy without fear! Simply come down to our Chelsea location or place an order for pickup or to-go.
Easy Vegan Tzatziki Recipe for Home
This vegan, gluten-free dip is a breeze to make, requiring only about ten minutes from start to finish. Once prepared, it is good for around four days in the refrigerator. Feel safe making this dip in advance and then enjoy it throughout your work week as a high-protein, low-calorie veggie dip.
Break out your food processor and invest a few minutes towards a snack guaranteed to help you power through your day!
- 1 package of medium-firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of fresh dill, minced
- 1/3 an English cucumber
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Begin by preparing the tofu. Remove the block from the packaging, draining out all the excess liquid. From here, press the tofu to remove further liquid that may have soaked into the block. This can be done using a tofu press, or by gently pressing the tofu between two plates, weighted down with cookbooks.
- Wash and peel the English cucumber. Using a cheese grater, grate the cucumber down to a shredded pulp. Wrap this pulp in a towel and gently squeeze out as much juice as possible.
- Combine the drained tofu and all other ingredients in a food processor. Pulse together until the mixture forms a smooth, creamy dip.
- Finally, add the shredded cucumber and pulse for a moment more until the cucumber chunks are barely visible. Enjoy every bite of this cool, flavorful dish!
Tips for Serving Vegan Tzatziki
Though this dip is doubtlessly one of the most simple ways to enjoy your lunch break or enhance your dinner party, the act of learning how to most enjoy it can be daunting. Never fear! This dip is every bit as versatile and accessible as every other dip on the Anixi menu.
We suggest serving this vegan tzatziki alongside a tray of mixed veggies for the healthiest possible take. Hoping to make this dish a little more indulgent? Sprinkle the dip with vegan feta, and then take the time to toast some pita for a warm, crisp contrast to this chill dip!
Often, homemade vegan tzatziki can come out a bit more watery than desired. This is entirely due to the high water volume of its most basic ingredients! To ensure that your vegan tzatziki is creamy rather than watered down, we suggest taking the time to remove any unnecessary water from your tofu block or cucumber before starting. It can be an annoying step, but that little bit of effort is worth the delicious outcome!
Rather than preparing this dip exactly as listed above, treat this vegan tzatziki recipe as more of a roadmap, leading you to your own adventure. Once you get the basics, experiment with different flavors to create your own distinct mix. We suggest a handful of fresh mint leaves or even basil to add an interesting twist to this Mediterranean classic!
Dip Mezze at Anixi
Looking for more delicious dips to add to your day? Look no further than the inclusive menu at Anixi!
Enjoy any of our amazing dip mezze options. With different breads or gluten-free rosemary chips to choose from, Anixi is ready with all the variety you need to get through the afternoon slump and bring excitement back to your afternoon.
Choose from among:
- Taramasalata, topped with orange seaweed caviar and flavored with red onions and sumac
- Fire-roasted eggplant dip, brightened by mint, pomegranate seeds, and sweet molasses
- Hummus masabacha, with parsley and pine nuts for color, flavor, and texture
- Whipped “ricotta” flavored with apricots, aleppo peppers, and saffron
- Kabocha squash, a crowd-pleasing option served flavored with harissa, preserved lemon cream, and date honey